Saturday, July 30, 2011

Kola Nut

I stumbled on kola nuts at the African market in Oakland (Man Must Wak) and bought one of these to taste. These nuts are native to West Africa and contain caffeine, the west africans chew these and drink water to help extract the caffeine. It supposedly turns sweet on chewing, although I did not discern any sweetness. It tasted horrifically bitter, somewhat like an acorn or any one of those random inedible fruits growing in the forests.

I am sure that I am missing the subtelties of this fruit, it is supposed to provide a stimulant effect and also relieve hunger pangs, effects that may be far too subtle for me to notice in my current cushy and calorie rich environment. I may have to rough it out in the tropical forests of West Africa to appreciate its salient features.


No comments:

Post a Comment