Monday, October 17, 2011

Fresh Anchovies

My experience with anchovies was limited to the canned variety that have so much salt that I didn't really know how fresh anchovies are supposed to taste. I stumbled upon them at the fish stand at the Old Oakland Farmer's Market. The Pacific Ocean near San Francisco is full of amazing delicious seafood, but it is very difficult to find fresh catch straight from the ocean. The anchovies were fresh and were caught in the Monterey Bay, they simply looked amazing. They were inexpensive, I paid $5 for 3 lbs of fish!


Cleaning: Use a sharp pointed knife, I use a boning knife that has a sharp end, to cut a slit along the bottom side of the fish and scoop out the guts. I use a 1/8 teaspoon to scoop out the contents, and then rinse the fish under cold water.


Preparation: I put the anchovies in a stainless steel mixing bowl, added olive oil, salt, and chopped garlic and mixed them. Afterwards, I spread them on a baking sheet and baked them in the oven at 350 Fahrenheit for 6 minutes. They taste buttery and delicious. The bones are fairly soft and you can easily eat the sides bones, even the main bone is fairly soft and can be eaten. It is unlikely that I am ever going to eat canned anchovies again.


No comments:

Post a Comment