Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Misir Wot (Ethiopian Lentil Stew)

I finally managed to successfully make Misir Wot which is an Ethiopian dish made with pink lentils. Pink lentils are a nutritional powerhouse, 26% by weight protein, 30% dietary fiber by weight, and high in thiamine, folate, and iron. It is one of my favorites and is very easy to make. It also tastes amazing and I can practically eat it every day. Here is the list of ingredients (You can find these at Yagerbet Market, 2412 Telegraph Avenue, Oakland, the lady there barely speaks English so please be patient):
  • Pink Lentils (1.5 cups)
  • Two medium sized onions
  • Sunflower oil(four tablespoons approximately)
  • Two medium sized tomatoes
  • Four cloves of garlic
  • Three tablespoons of berbere
  • Salt (about two teaspoon, berbere has salt but I needed a little bit extra)
  • Water: about five cups
  • Niter kibe (spiced Ethiopian butter)

 Pink Lentils


Niter Kibe(Ethiopian spiced butter)


 Berbere (Ethiopian Spice Mix)


Recipe: Add about 3/4 cup of water to a pot and bring to boil, dice the onions and add them to the boiling water, and cook until the water has completely evaporated. This step is radically different from what most recipes will say, I got this suggestion from an Ethiopian friend. Once the onions are cooked, add oil, and also chopped garlic. Cook until the onions are brown. Chop the tomatoes finely and add along with the onions. Cook until the water from the tomatoes is completely evaporated. I keep the pot covered during this time to speed up the cooking of tomatoes, but you do have to stir the contents to make sure they don't stick to the base of the pot. You are done when the oil starts to separate.

Add berbere and mix and cook with the onions and tomatoes for about a minute or so, it will turn in to a thick red paste. Add the lentils, and two cups of water, cover and cook on medium heat while stirring intermittently. Keep adding water as the lentils soak the water and cook and swell. You will need about five cups of water, but pay attention to the consistency of the stew. It needs to be somewhat thick. Serve with injera and enjoy this healthy and delicious meal.

Misir Wot



6 comments:

  1. FYI: You entered 2 medium onions twice. I assumed the 2nd was to be tomatoes, which works.

    Important, potentially, to vary the amount of berbere mix too, depending on the pepper concentration. Next time I make this, I think I'll double to 4 tomatoes to give it a more tart kick (the organic tomatoes I have are pretty small anyhow).

    Nonetheless, a tasty recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the correction, yes I meant tomatoes. Personally, I find that you can never go wrong with the amount of tomatoes. When they are in season, I will put four or five medium ones. When they are not in season, I completely skip them. I don't like to use canned tomatoes.

      The amount of berbere is a matter of personal taste, I know the first time I cooked it, my Ethiopian friend asked me if I put any berbere at all. I did increase it and I like the amount I put it. But again, the recipe could easily take some more berbere and it would have more kick.

      I have also started making it in the pressure cooker, it cooks in a few minutes, other than time to saute the onions. Although, I do notice that it is not as falvorful when compared to slow cooking in an Indian kadhai(wok).

      Delete
  2. Thank you for posting this wonderful recipe! I've tried to make misir wot from several recipes, and while I always like it, yours is by far the best version I've found.

    How do you use the niter kibe? I added a tablespoon or so just after the oil and garlic and it seemed to work, but I'm curious when you would add it and how much you use.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words. I add it more as a garnish at the end after the lentils have cooled just a bit and then after it melts I mix it up. The niter kibe adds a nice aroma and flavor to the recipe. I just love it, it tastes and smells wonderful.

      Delete
  3. Great Recipe. I always loved Ethiopian food and recently started cooking it myself. I found lots of recipes online that were really helpful and Ethiopian spices such as berbere and shiro from www.fassica.com. It's been a great experience. I'd say my favorite food is now spicy Misir wot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad to have found this recipe. I'm going to make it tonight in the pressure cooker. I don't have injera though. Misir wot is my favorite Ethiopian dish.

    ReplyDelete